Pandemic or not, just as life continues, so will the Voyagers. In fact, gathering to think about family of origin, anxiety, congregations and systems may be more important now than ever.
There are two foci for presentations for this meeting. One will be on thinking about Bowen Theory, the family projection process and how it applies in society. Part of the impetus of this meeting is Walter Smith’s conversation on racism and the family projection process, at the Vermont Center for the Study of the Family. The second focus is on “Returning to Church during (or after) a Pandemic”. A suggested subtitle is “I had a headache before the pandemic – and it came back!”
An addition to our plans (which required a shift in dates) is a one-day conference presented by The Center for Family Consultation, in which Dan Papero will talk about Anxiety, Stress, and Triangling: Pressurized Human Relationships. It will run from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (central time) on Friday. The cost of this conference is included in your $200 registration fee. (For those who do not wish to participate on Friday, the cost is $110. Details are in the registration process.)
Although our exact plans are not complete, the outline of our meeting is as follows:
Wednesday, October 21
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Gather, Welcome, Check-In, Overview
- Presentation #1 (with breaks, of course!). Dave Goodine
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. Presentation #2. You’ll Be Back! Carol Jeunnette
- 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. Case studies. (Let Carol know if you have one!)
- 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. Discussion of Jenny Brown’s book: Bowen Family Systems Theory in Christian Ministry.
Thursday, October 22
- 9:00 – 12:30
- Family of Origin groups. (ending time is flexible)
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Systems and Sermons (A look at upcoming texts through the lens of Bowen Theory.
- 3:30 – 5:00
- Looking ahead, and further discussion of Bowen Family Systems Theory in Christian Ministry.
Friday, October 23
- 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Dan Papero, The Center for Family Consultation
Because we have folks in three time zones, we’ll stick with central time for our schedule.
Cost for this event is $200. If you choose not to participate in the day with Dan Papero, the cost is $110. With your registration, you will receive a copy of the book, Bowen Family Systems Theory in Christian Ministry, edited by Jenny Brown and Lauren Errington. (Thanks to a grant from Thrivent and Mary Homan!). To register, click here.